||8 credit points
||Stevenson, R. (Universiteit van Amsterdam)
||To provide theoretical insight in and to develop some practical skills for numerical solution methods for partial differential equations. Particular emphasis lies on the mathematical treatment of the finite element method for stationary PDEs.
||The following topics will be treated:
* Classification of PDEs.
* Some elements of functional analysis and approximation theory.
* Variational formulation and Ritz Galerkin approximation, in particular for elliptic PDEs.
* Examples of finite elements.
* Error estimates.
In addition, a selection of the following topics will receive attention:
* FEM for saddle point problems.
* Nonconforming finite elements.
* Iterative methods for solving the large linear systems resulting from a FEM discretization.
* Adaptive methods.
* Nonstationary PDEs.
||Lectures & exercise classes.
||Home & programming assignment.
||To be announced on the homepage of the course.
||Basic knowledge of functional analysis, numerical analysis, and some programming experience.
||Homepage of the course is http://staff.science.uva.nl/~rstevens/numpde2012.html